chasing amy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 9 18:36:24 PST 1999

Carrol wrote to jf noonan wrote:
>> that sexual orientation is genetically determined.
>
>> Why is this such an appealing prospect to so many?
>
>As many gay writers have pointed out, there are also political dangers. That
>"Jewishness" was allegedly genetic did not help the Jews of Europe in the
>1930s/40s. "Final soulutions" are most often sought for groups that are
>allegedly
>genetically definable.

Indeed. I think that (as I wrote in another post) the appeal of genetics for gay men and lesbians lies (in part) in the fact that lots of homosexuals have been and still are subjected to pressures by bigoted straights to change their 'lifestyles.' So, it is no wonder that some of them may find solace in the hope that if sexual orientations are 'scientifically' determined to be genetically 'fixed,' straights may desist from their attempts to force gay men and lesbians to adopt hetero norms. It is most likely that this gay research in 'gay genes' will disappear once we get rid of homophobia.

Another reason for the appeal of genetics of course is that one of the main homophobic accusations against those of non-straight dispositions are that we are 'unnatural.' What can be more 'natural' than genetic determinations, or so our common sense tells us.

Furthermore, we need to look at how the ideology of heterosexism has made it appear pertinent to ask the following question: "what is the cause of homosexuality?" At the same time, the same ideology makes us think of the opposite question as odd and ridiculous: "what is the cause of heterosexuality?" For further investigation of this angle, see, for instance, Jonathan Ned Katz, _The Invention of Heterosexuality_; Judith Butler, _Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity_; Fear of a Queer Planet: Queer Politics and Social Theory_ (Ed. Michael Warner); Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, _Epistemology of the Closet_ and _Tendencies_; _Inside/Out: Lesbian Theories, Gay Theories_ (Ed. Diana Fuss); _Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past_ (Eds. Martha Vicinus, et al.); Mary Louise Adams, _The Trouble with Normal: Postwar Youth and the Making of Heterosexuality_; _Border Patrols: Policing the Boundaries of Heterosexuality_ (Ed. Deborah Lynn Steinberg); _Queering the Renaissance_ (Ed. Jonathan Goldberg); and John D'Emilio and Estelle Freedman, _Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America_.

Yoshie