micro/macro [was Re: Hitchens explains]

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Tue Feb 9 21:51:01 PST 1999

>> Hitchens has said he doubts this Justice
>> Department will look into it.
>
>How would he know?

I'm only speculating here, but there isn't much of a case unless another reporter comes forward and agrees to testify - something I doubt will happen. What you said the Washington Post had said concerning an affidavit, I've heard, is not true. If the Justice Department decides to take Blumenthal to trial, they can't use the affidavit, they'll have to call Hitchens, his wife, and Armstrong to testify. If (when) they refuse, they can be cited for contempt. (What's up with the Post? I kinda doubt Hitchens and Blumenthal had worked at a conservative think tank. It will be interesting to see what the New Republic has to say about all of this.)

Am I wrong or has Blumenthal contradicted himself? In grand jury testimony he said he didn't discuss these things with friends and now through his lawyer he says he had.

It seems to me the question of whether the Justice Department or Starr goes after Blumenthal is a political one. Will the Republicans think it worthwhile to pursue it? Will the Democrats think it worthwhile to fight if they do?