Abortion & Foucault/Althusser (Re: cop shows, postmodernism....)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 10 07:25:18 PST 1999

Bill:
>Yes, adjectives can be used as fancy nouns instead of plainer
>alternatives, but why not use the word "problem" or "debate"?

You are right. Those are the words I initially used in my earlier posts on the same topic. I was simply trying to talk to those listers who seem incapable of getting the point without the mediation of pomo buzzwords. But, hey, sometimes you have to meet people (in this case pomophiles) where they are at.

>Remarkably successful? Last time I looked, something like 75% of the
>American public felt that women should have the right to an abortion.
>And why should Marx and/or Foucault be necessary?

Yes. You would think that with this much support for the right to abortion, the Right would have no success in chipping away _access_ to abortion, but they have. As of now, the average age of doctors who perform abortions is higher than 65, about 85 % of all counties in the USA have no facility where women may have abortions, the continuing trend of increasing mergers of hospitals has and is decreasing the availability of abortion (due to non-Catholic hospitals often adopting Catholic regulations when their merger partners are Catholic-run hospitals, among other reasons), and so on. The pro-reproductive rights & freedoms side have yet to figure out how to reverse the Right's material gains.

>By the way, could you stop sending HTML-ified responses?

Thanks for mentioning it. I'll take note of it and try to fix it. I'm not very cyber-literate, so I wasn't aware that my clippings & pastings may be doing the HTML-fication you speak of + causing problems for folks here. Sorry.

Yoshie