chasing amy

Wed Feb 10 07:19:45 PST 1999

Yes, I was in a sensitivity training about 10 years ago when this was said. However, it doesn't seem odd or ridiculous to me to ask what is the cause of heterosexuality ? What is the answer the many authors listed give to this question ? That it is not hereditary, but socially constructed, I presume. What are the main points of their argument ?

Charles

>>> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> 02/09 9:36 PM
At the same time, the same ideology makes us think of the opposite question as odd and ridiculous: "what is the cause of heterosexuality?" For further investigation of this angle, see, for instance, Jonathan Ned Katz, _The Invention of Heterosexuality_; Judith Butler, _Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity_; Fear of a Queer Planet: Queer Politics and Social Theory_ (Ed. Michael Warner); Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, _Epistemology of the Closet_ and _Tendencies_; _Inside/Out: Lesbian Theories, Gay Theories_ (Ed. Diana Fuss); _Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past_ (Eds. Martha Vicinus, et al.); Mary Louise Adams, _The Trouble with Normal: Postwar Youth and the Making of Heterosexuality_; _Border Patrols: Policing the Boundaries of Heterosexuality_ (Ed. Deborah Lynn Steinberg); _Queering the Renaissance_ (Ed. Jonathan Goldberg); and John D'Emilio and Estelle Freedman, _Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America_.

Yoshie