Despising, hating, and fearing Clinton

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 10 10:21:01 PST 1999

Brad De Long wrote:

>Not true. The root-and-branch Republicans despise, hate, and fear Clinton
>like we used to despiste, hate, and fear Nixon. Why they do so is more
>complicated: I've never gotten any of them to explain it to me
>convincingly...

The best explanation I've heard is from Chris Caldwell, Weekly Standard writer and New York Press columnist. He says to the hardcore right - nonlibertarian that is; Caldwell is a libertarian himself - Clinton represents the mainstream triumph of "the 60s." It drives them mad that a man with loose morals is president, and madder still that he's got a 66% approval rating. This explains why Bennett & Co. have gone into high raving mode now - they've lost bigtime and they don't know what to do.

Also, a historian friend of mine who specializes in the south says that Chuck Grimes's whitewing crowd hates Clinton for being a traitor to both the South and to the white race. Yeah, sure he's ended welfare and presided over the imprisonment of hundreds of thousands of African American - but he golfs with Vernon Jordan and talks pussy talk with him. To the likes of Trent Lott, this is treason.

Doug