Genes and gay identity

Miles Jackson cqmv at odin.cc.pdx.edu
Wed Feb 10 12:01:29 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Tavia Nyong'O wrote:

> The political implications of this are obvious. A group that feels itself
> bound by destiny will be more likely to act in concert to secure its
> rights and recognition. A group that is persuaded its mutuality is
> contingent, fictive and requiring constant iteration will not count for
> much politically.
>
> Tavia

Why are you confusing "destiny" with biology? Religious groups, political groups, etc can be extremely coherent and influential. Moreover, association with these groups can make life more meaningful for group members. It disturbs me that even left-leaning people think that the best way to establish and sustain group cohesion is through biological claims.

Miles cqmv at odin.cc.pdx.edu