Serbia

sokol at jhu.edu sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 10 13:52:03 PST 1999

At 01:20 PM 2/10/99 -0500, Tom L. wrote:

>Too bad the Nation is going that route!
>
>I find it interesting that a government employee named Walker who operated in
>Central America in the 1980's is now doing the same thing in Yugoslavia
today.
>Anyone know anything about this public relations cat? He is reportedly
>managing the news coming out of the region.

Unfortunatly very little objective information comes out of the region. Some time ago, Living Marxism tried to challenge the objectivity of the Western liberal accounts of the Serbian conduct - and these efforts were literally trashed by the mainstream media as well as The Nation.

A person who might know more on the subject and is not (I hope) a complete sell out to the new world order is Bogdan Denitch of the City University of New York (Graduate School). Doug - any contacts in those areas?

Meanwhile, a few "educated guesses" (read: wild conjectures) about Western Europe's and US's interest in the former Yugoslavia:

1. Cheap window-dressing to appear not utterly anti-islamic; supporting "token Muslims" in the former Yugoslavia is more palatable to Western tastes than supporting the real thing in the Middle East;

2. Dismantling of what once was the most successful Eastern economy to reduce competition and protect Western European markets from cheap eastern imports;

3. Geopolitics Brzezinski/Kissinger style - anything that weakens Russia (red or otherwise) and her historical allies is good for Amerika.

4. Class-solidarity with Eastern European intelligentsia and its "embourgeoisment project" that is behind most of the national splits and conflicts in the region (Janine Wedel has an interesting book on the collusion between Russian "mafia" and Harvard policy advisors).

5. All of the above.

Regards,

Wojtek