what is sexual orientation?/ what is a bird ?

Wed Feb 10 14:45:04 PST 1999

>From memory, as Engels, says dialectics recognizes that for all hard and fast distinctions we eventually find examples that make a contradiction. For example, if we define a bird as a flying creature, is a chicken a bird ? But is the definition of a bird useless because chickens can't fly ? More from Engels on dialectics, all definitions and hard and fast oppositions tomorrow.

Charles Brown

Charles Brown wrote:

> Wait a minute. Here's a dictionary. "The direction of one's sexual interest toward members of the same, opposite, or both sexes. " How's that ?...
> I think you need to rephrase your question, because I don't know what you are getting at.

Joe and Mary live in the state of Freedonia, whose culture is distinct from the culture of the contemporary USA.

Mary has a Y chromosome, a penis, facial hair, and all the other things that would make a biologist label Mary as "male". However, Mary has the clothing, speech style, body posture, etc. that Freedonian culture labels as appropriate for women. Freedonians who know Mary refer to Mary as a woman, and Mary has pretty much the same social status that everyone else called "woman" has in Freedonia.

Joe is clearly (by Freedonian standards and by ours) a man.

Joe and Mary are lovers. When they have sex, Joe always penetrates Mary; Joe and Mary say they do not want to have another kind of intercourse. Joe says he is sexually attracted to people with vaginas who are called "women" in Freedonian culture, but in practice he has only had sexual relations with Mary. He says he is not sexually attracted to anyone who, within Freedonian culture, is referred to as a "man".

What is Joe's sexual orientation?

For more details on cultures like Freedonia's, see Walter L. Williams, _Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in Native American Cultures_ (quoting the title from memory).

-- perl -le"for(@w=(q[dm='r 0rJaa,u0cksthe';dc=967150;dz=~s/d/substrdm,\ (di+=dc%2?4:1)%=16,1ordi-2?'no':'Perl h'/e whiledc>>=1;printdz]))\ {s/d/chr(36)/eg;eval;}#In Windows type this all on 1 line w/o '\'s" == seth gordon == sgordon at kenan.com == standard disclaimer == == documentation group, kenan systems corp., cambridge, ma ==