Counterpunch web

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 10 14:57:18 PST 1999

"Hit on Snitchens" is clever, because it's really quite a personal snit on Hitchens, as well: I'm a fan of Cockburn's but wonder if this time he hasn't gone Too Far ... of course that may go for Hitchens, too. But it still seems to me that in the circumstances it would have been worse for Hitchens to clam up on the basis of friendship and become a material accomplice to Clinton's disinformation campaigns, actual or potential. After all, he spends much of his time in print saying (accurately) that the government is lying: should he then be silent when he has personal information that that's the case?

--C. G. Estabrook