Postmodernism

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Wed Feb 10 17:27:48 PST 1999

>Bromwich writes for Dissent, doesn't he? I'd much rather read Jameson &
>Anderson than that narcotic periodical.

>> All that
>> is submerged in a theory whose demand is that people be known as obedient
>> consumers, or exploited consumers whose revolt can only emerge through
>> modified acts of consumption.
>
>What is he talking about? I assume this is a joint review of the Jameson
>collection, The Cultural Turn, and Anderson's book that started as an intro
>to Jameson's. I read both of them, and I have no idea where he got that if
>he's talking about these books.
>
>Doug
I've never heard of the guy and agree Dissent is a sleeper. Yes, he's reviewing both books and as far as I can tell "All that" refers to ideology; his point I'd guess is along the lines of what Dennis Redmond said when refering to Adorno and Horkheimer's Dialectics of Enlightenment. Has anyone seen the new 7-Up ad campaign about beind youngsters being "un" people and being rebellious by not drinking Coke/Pepsi? The Baffler seems hung up on this whole idea but I guess it's sorta true. I read both books and agree with you.