students

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 10 18:55:13 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> When I talk to undergraduates I'm impressed by they don't seem to give a
> fuck about anything. They sit there, blankly. People tell me it's fear, but
> if it is, it's disguised as a great ennui.

Might it have something to do with the perception that education is "easy"? I mean, most of these students are pretty much guaranteed a B+ just for showing up and going through the motions, whether they learn anything or not. Fear of flunking is a surprisingly good substitute for (and often a precursor to) love of learning, I think.

Enrique