'Free Love,' Etc.

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Wed Feb 10 20:57:51 PST 1999

Yoshie wrote: "There is no reason why one's chromosome, choice of dress, demeanor, sexual object choice (in what you actually do, what you dream about but don't get to do, what you fear but also find fascinating, etc.), 'lifestyle' (the word that many pejoratively use but Foucault thought of as potentially liberating and at least promising), etc. should neatly line up along the developmental lines plotted by the very limited range of normal scripts of heterosexual romance."

Since you mentioned the "choice of dress" and since some people seem to want to really spice things up with a few confessionals. . .

Well, I've had this fantasy that I know I'll never act out. Why is it we've all got to dress contemporary? I dig Edwardian stuff, and the Roman style wasn't called regalia for nothing. I can't go shopping for groceries in a toga - although, I swear to the Good One Upstairs, I'm sure I saw a good looking all American high-school guy in a skirt about two years ago. I drove by a second time just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I had an intuitive feeling that he was on the cusp of some kind of fad, and I'm too out of it to know what kids are into these days. Anyway, I never saw that again - at least, not in that neighborhood.

Oh, sure, we have cross-dressers. But, is that actually breaking a boundary?

What I really want to wear is that Saudi white thing. That's what I call clothes. But, it's not safe, is it? I mean, HERE, in America.

OK, I'll be trite. We're herd animals. Admit it, the strongest human urge is to BELONG. I've been trying to get over it, not entirely without success. I think the next step is the Saudi white thing. I'll move on from there.

Remember what Ghandi said when he was asked by the British press if he felt intimidated, wearing only his homespun when presented to the King. "The King had quite enough on for both of us."

My personal fashion idol is the Pope. But, I couldn't even think of emulating him. That takes real money.

Quincy