students

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Feb 11 00:49:19 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> When I talk to undergraduates I'm impressed by they don't seem to give a
> fuck about anything. They sit there, blankly. People tell me it's fear, but
> if it is, it's disguised as a great ennui.

It's not fear. They're waiting for you to turn the TV on. This is the Net surf generation, you know -- the first set of kids to know nothing of the Cold War or the bone-chilling thought that, in 15 minutes, we could all be radioactive charcoal. So they sit and chill out, like reasonable human beings ought to do. Hell, I cut 60% of my classes as an undergrad, myself, even professors I liked. I worry when my students are *too* motivated.

-- Dennis