Butler (Re: cop shows, postmodernism and all that

Catherine Driscoll cdriscol at arts.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Feb 11 14:20:23 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>Re: "What's up with this 'oh but is it good for the left?' litmus test,
>anyway?"
>
>Frances, what's the purpose of this list? Last time I looked, "LBO"
>stood for *Left* Business Observer.

There's a difference between 'left' observation and protection of the boundaries of '*the* left'.

>I don't see any purpose for a
>discussion group like this -- as heterogeneous in its makeup as it is --
>other than as a means to crystalize messages that, ultimately, might
>command sympathy, respect and support from people at large. Let's say
>Butler's fans are right, that she is the most incisive, subtle thinker
>of the age. I would *still* think that discussing her is a waste of
>time. Despite repeated challenges, no one here has offered a precis of
>her thought or even been able to paraphrase and summarize excerpts from
>her writing.

I find that very difficult to believe. An idea: gender is something you perform, not something you are. An idea: people are formed in relations to power which shape even the way they challenge that power. Or do you mean none of her points have been explained in a way you accept?

Catherine