Butler (Re: cop shows, postmodernism and all that

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Feb 11 14:09:33 PST 1999

Re Catherine's: "Some of what 'Butler and her ilk' would challenge is that pervasive philosophical system where truths are 'self-evident' rather than contingent expressions of interest. Not all of what is expressed in the Declaration of Independence needs ot be thrown out, perhaps, but holding currently dominant truths to be self-evident is usually not conducive to social change."

On the contrary, I would argue that very radical social change *can* flow from the "self-evident" truth of the Declaration of Independence, e.g.: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all humankind is created equal and hence entitled to live in not merely an equal-opportunity society but an *equal-outcome* one." That statement has internal logic and certainly points in a progressive direction.

Carl Remick