Grammatical niceties: the double possessive

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 11 15:09:13 PST 1999

The double possessive in English distinguishes between subjective and objective genitives. E.g.,

[1] I disagree with that opinion of Doug's

doesn't mean the same as

[2] I disagree with that opinion of Doug.

If you try to make it clear that [1] is subjective by recasting it as

[3] I disagree with Doug's opinion,

you at least lose some specificity.

--C. G. Estabrook