Students, Goddamn stupid kids, etc.

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Thu Feb 11 13:57:31 PST 1999

Goddamn, I spent the day in Baltimore at a demonstration against Crown Petroleum (maybe Ken will give me a pat on the head and a doggy biscuit for doing something "active"), and my mailbox fills up with all these messages!

The only thing I can add to the student thread is a weak defense: C'mon, were most young people *really* that smart in previous generations? I seem to recall Hitchy-poo citing a figure which showed that college freshmen in the 40s had no idea who the President of the Yoo-Nited States was during the Civil War. The problem isn't the "stupidity" of the current generation, it's the stupidity of leisure-class children in general. College isn't meant to be an educational experience, it's a stepping stone to a six-figure salary and a Lexus once you graduate. Doug could probably tell y'all better than I can about the careerism and willful ignorance of most UVA undergrads.

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]