Failing 40%

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Fri Feb 12 12:15:54 PST 1999

Some give up in despair. But no one prof need fail 40% for the failure rate to reach 40%. That's because if you generally get C's a couple of F's will drag you below de minimis requirements for staying in. I haven't worked it out, but a student could flunk out with say 2 Fs and 8 Cs. he doesn't require 40% Fs. So, we don't need to give out 40% Fs to have a 40% non graduation rate. But there are many reasons for non completion. People get jobs, get married, have kids, don't see the point, etc.

In my 2nd year teaching one of my students appealed to some appeals board his grade because I gave him a C- instead of a C. That .3 differentce (1.7 vs. 2.0) made the mathematical difference between falling in the "get kicked out" category vs. the "staying in" category. A classic example of marginal theory. I got the blame for the whole weight of his worse than lackluster performance, because it was the last grade received.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298