teaching and students

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Sat Feb 13 19:37:44 PST 1999

Friends,

I want to thank the many people who responded to my post about teaching. I printed most of them for further study. And I got some ideas too. The funny thing is that, while my comments stirred some analytical thinking about the matter among us, I still had the mundane task of going back and teaching the next day. I decided to talk about the class in light of the email discussion. We had a good "rap" about the classes, what they found lacking in the quizzes and in the course and what I hoped for them. I can never sustain any sort of anger or disdain for my students. They are too much like my daughter and three sons. I look at them with a feeling of great sadness and some hope too. I want to hug them and say, "It's going to be alright." Even if it is not! Of course, sometimes I agree with Lenin and think we have to hit them on the head!!

michael yates