Weyrich Letter to Conservatives

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Feb 17 22:30:00 PST 1999

>From the Ron Fournier article:

``I no longer believe that there is a moral majority,'' Paul Weyrich wrote in a letter to several hundred fellow conservative leaders. ``I do not believe that a majority of Americans actually share our values.''

Weyrich, head of the Free Congress Foundation in Washington, says President Clinton's acquittal in the impeachment trial has brought him to the point of wondering whether conservatives should continue trying to influence politics. -----------------

I read this and I laughed, Good! But, I want more than revenge. I want satisfaction--a much more troublesome desire. Perhaps, a sleep, per chance a dream ...

But the war is far from over. I want them to sleep the sleep that only Carthage knows. I want to look upon the rubble and fallen walls at twilight and savor the long mysterous shadows as they cut across the old stone fluttings and run my fingers over their weather beaten surface--stone that has lain exposed for a millienia or more. I want a sleep for them that evokes awe and astonishment at the depth of its retribution. I want the well of language itself to shallow them until even their markings on the broken facades and empty portals have no meaning.

Chuck Grimes