THE NEW LEFT TAKES OVER AMERICAN UNIONS

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Thu Feb 18 10:08:41 PST 1999

Dear Wojtek,

All three of these arguments are straw dogs---kick'em and they will fall apart.

Unions are in business to provide people with dignity, better economic conditions, better working conditions and better social conditions i.e. benefits. Why else organize 'em.? This is what real unions are all about.

Today's low wage worker is tomorrow's high wage worker. It's just a matter of time and perseverance. Dues really are no big deal---you only pay a very small percentage of what you make. The question is what you do as a member of your local to make things better for everyone in your local. Things like attend your monthly union business meeting. Or try to be helpful in organizing or political action. Your interest in the union is in your own interest. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Small companies become big companies, they grow! As the company grows the union should grow, if the union members are for growth. It all comes down to the rank and file. You can have great union leaders-but-what you really need is great union members.

The big problems today are NAFTA and these other so-called free trade deals with no conditions attached ,and, a lack of real labor laws with real teeth. These are the unions biggest enemies.

Your email pal,

Tom Lehman