Mime and HTML

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:19:29 PST 1999

I subscribe in digest form -- so every MIME message comes across with full MIME code. Every HTML messages comes across with the full HTML code. I would have no problems if I was not subscribed via a digest. However I suspect that a lot of the cheapernet type mail programs will have problems. Any text only mail system will run into this (i.e. most Unix based systems, most systems for the disabled.)

People who send out messages in MIME or HTML format probably have settings in their e-mail which do this. (Alternatively they may be quoting or forwarding MIME or HTML mesages.) I've personally found it a minor inconvenience -- one I can live with easily in return for getting four or five rather than 60 or 70 e-mail headers. But since it apparently bothers some people on the list, they might want to cut it out.

BTW, (except for this paragraph which I am manually wrapping) I have turned off word wrap for long lines in my own system so that people reading my messages can have their own system do the wrapping at their preferred length. If anyone has a mail reader that does not wrap lines, so that that the above post come across as a few ultra-long lines let me know. (Use private e-mail please-- no need to burden the list.)

Thanks

Gar

-- Gar W. Lipow 815 Dundee RD NW Olympia, WA 98502 http://www.freetrain.org/