Putting The Cop Shows Back In The Cop Shows Thread (And Even a Little Deconstruction, too!)

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:35:55 PST 1999

I'll have to disagree with you a bit on this one. I think what we're seeing here is a very subtle exploration of the relationship between power and social responsibility, yet another Buffyesque subversion of genre conventions.

Both Buffy and Faith are superheroes (or Nietzchean Ubermenschen, if you want to go that far...) For Faith, this means that the normal rules don't apply to them - if a few innocents get killed along the way, well, its all for the greater good, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, etc. It's the same philosophy that leads from Marxism to Leninism to Stalinism: those who protect the people from the "demons" are entitled to a few privileges.

Buffy takes the opposite tack. Not only does she reject Faith's amorality, she also rejects the Watcher's council's bureaucratic moralisms. While they tell her she must work alone and in secret, she involves the rest of the group, in a more-or-less democratic way, with her activities (which has been the key to her surviving long past the average slayer) These last two shows have been a sort of test for Buffy, a tempting from "the dark side", if you will. I don't see them as being "moralistic", however: that implies the didactic tone of an after-school special. Rather, they have been moral in the deepest sense: showing good people struggling to make the right choices in an uncertain world.

I'm probably thinking about this too much, but Buffy is that rarest of shows, one that makes you laugh and cry and THINK about it afterwards. Not bad for a series on a second-rate network based on a truly awful movie...

Jim Baird