god and country was {Re: Immortality...

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Fri Feb 19 09:15:00 PST 1999

rakesh also wrote:

>By the way, Clinton now closes important addresses with his wish that
"God
>Bless, America." As far as I can remember, Clinton renewed this
obnoxious
>practice in the Democratic Party at the convention at which he was
>nominated for his first bid for the presidency. What kind of
community must
>America be if God is really going to bless "us"?

our esteemed prime minister has just informed us that he will be writing the preamble that will go to the republic referenda later this year. this preamble will, he says, mention god.... i assume he wants to refer authorship of the nation to god; so perhaps we are doing a re-run of (as - the name of the guy who wrote slaughterhouse 5, it has slipped my mind - astutely noted) nixon's claim to divine authority.

angela