Immortality and Barbaric Racial Utopias

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 19 17:52:23 PST 1999

Angela wrote:
>i've been doing some (not ever enough) work on what seems to be a
>fairly widespread shift to skills-based immigration programmes, and i
>think it's not exactly a case of shifting immigration out of its
>racist premises, but rather making immigration more acceptable within
>an increasingly racist attack on immigration, ie, it is the response
>to the complaint that immigrants take away jobs and/or are more prone
>to unemployment (sponging). alongside the shift to increasing the
>skilled component of immigration, there has also been a 'user-pays'
>component added in aust: if you have money to invest, you get in.
>australia is i think an excessivley racist country at the moment -
>very scary and getting worse.

What's interesting in the USA (and elsewhere as well) is that loud complaints that "immigrants take away jobs and/or are more prone to unemployment (sponging)" seldom ever come from people (e.g. poor Latinos) who may actually have a rational ground for fear of wage-depressing effects of increased labor supply, over-crowded public schools, etc. African-Americans seem conflicted and ambivalent about immigration, but judging by the race-divided voting patterns in Californa referenda on immigration-related issues, they are much less anti-immigrant than whites. (In the case of Japan, nativist antipathy seems to concentrate on (im)migrants from Asian countries, much less on those of other races, regardless of skill levels.)

Since anti-immigrant sentiments are not 'rational,' especially in that contradictory ideas (immigrants take away jobs/immigrants are spongers) seem to coexist in ideology without discrediting each other (and they are therefore immune to rational refutations), how do we fight back?

Yoshie