happy99.exe

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Fri Feb 19 11:14:43 PST 1999

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 steve at panix.com wrote:

> John K. Taber said:
> >
> > This Trojan horse, happy99.exe, was attached to lbo digest 1006.
> > That is supposed to be a real virus. Is somebody sabotaging you
> > Doug?
>

> Gee, the Y2K problem, susceptibility to viruses...
>
> Is there anything PCs do right?
>

> Steve Mac Matthews

PCs work a lot better if you are running some version of Unix. The Y2K problem goes away, virus susceptibility drops off due to a community of fanatics devoted to extreme and meticulous counter-measures--a matter of comp-geek honor. MIME encoding and de-encoding works if and only if they follow the requisit RFC's. And, there are reams of anti-spam filters to down load and run for free. In other words, MS versions of all the above are usually broken by intention to 'extend and embrace'--and that's the charitable view.

I am feeling particularly cocky tonight because I finally figured out how to configure the fetchmail daemon to log in and poll my ISP and then distribute the mail to the various version of Chuck, alias term1, term2, term3, term4. I know, big wow. But, you gotta remember when something like that works, it works for one stand alone or a whole office building, or a whole ISP client load.

Now we'll see if the sendmail.cf got the alias right. Oh, yeah, and remember all this is free--the software, the hardware, the whole deal. But I still can't get anybody to try it. I've got one buddy at SFSU who 'may'--and I offered to loan the whole thing to him for as long as he wants. This experiment is really a fascinating insight into how far we are buried in the consumer mentality. Anybody out there use Linux or FreeBSD or NetBSD or OpenBSD, or any of the current unices?

Chuck Grimes