Butler

Catherine Driscoll cdriscol at arts.adelaide.edu.au
Sat Feb 20 07:35:00 PST 1999

Chuck Grimes responds to Yoshie's post as follows:

>Any oppressed group wants to know its own history. Mastering history, it
>seeks to recover, master, and work through subjugated knowledge (how it
>came to be the object of oppression) and suppressed popular memories (how
>its forebears or predecessors lived, struggled, survived, and sometimes
>even won some victories). Foucault spoke very eloquently of how (and to
>whose benefit) popular memories of rebellions have been erased from history.
>
>The ruling class and its dominant ideology always seek to deny us our
>history and memories.

with an invocation to compare Caravaggio and David Hockney. Chuck, I can't see why this comparison would prove or disprove the claim that Butler and Foucault have had effects on conceptions of sexuality. You want to claim they have had *less* effect than other things/ideas/people I think, but why? And who, exactly -- Hegel?

Catherine