Cicero on the Asian financial crisis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 20 07:33:42 PST 1999

A few years ago there was a fine article in MR on Cicero, and on the politics of stoic and epicurean. Cicero was a first-class shithead, and stoicism continues to be a strong element in really reactionary thought and propaganda up to the present (especially in that sort of propaganda which is aimed at maintaining the morale and self-satisfaction of shitheads (including the propagandist him/herself). E.g., "I can feel your pain, because O I myself am in such pain, but pain is good for us."

Carrol