Savings and stocks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 22 07:44:50 PST 1999

Michael Pollak wrote:

>I have another dumb question. Why is putting your money in a 401(k) in
>the stock market not considered "savings" when the national savings level
>is considered? There has been much moaning of late that consumer savings
>went to 0.5% for 1998 and negative for the last few months, and the
>explanation is always the same, that people feel so chuffed from having
>their stocks jump in value that they're spending like sailors.
>
>But I don't understand. If a chap like me, who used to have $500 in his
>savings account, now has 50 grand in his 401(k), my savings have gone
>down? And if the economy is filled with 40 year olds like me, is the
>sudden virtue of our self-tithing leading the savings rate to go down even
>as we think of ourselves as socking it away? (Especially if the strain of
>stashing away 10% or more of our salaries causes our credit card balances
>to increase by huge percentages that seem small in absolute terms compared
>to our huge mountains of virtue?)

In the national income accounts, personal saving is defined as income less taxes less consumption. So if there's new money going into a 401(k) - new in the sense of coming out unconsumed current income rather than just being shifted from a bank account - then it does count as personal savings. Employer contributions to pension plans also count as personal savings (in the national income accounts, the contributions are included in the category "other labor income").

Capital gains do not count as savings because the concept underlying the national accounts is that income is the reward of production; all income must be matched with production. So, conceptually, savings are unconsumed income, and investment is unconsumed production - or as Keynes said, savings and investment "are merely alternative names for the difference between income and consumption." Cap gains don't originate in production, and any expansion in wealth from cap gains is just the result of existing assets being revalued; there's no analogous increase in the stock of physical capital, and no deferral of consumption.

So the point of pointing to the low savings rate is that there isn't a lot of tithing going on, or, even if there is, the profligate are borrowing more than enough to outweigh the prudent.

I'm typing this as a Stein Roe ad for a new mutual fund for kids is running on CNBC.

Doug