America

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 22 11:44:07 PST 1999

In the booklet that comes with Beyond and Back: The X Anthology that I just got as a premium for giving money to WFMU, Moby is quoted as saying:

"I loved X because they represented such a cool confluence of elements. They were so American and so punk rock and they somehow embodied this timeless poetic archetype of American desolation and exuberance. Kind of like 'I'm drunk and depressed and it's too hot outside and there are diapers in the front lawn but life is so fucking special I'll go out and shoot out the window in my car cos I'm full of rage and joy....' For me, X represented what an unintentionally strange and fecund place America can be for the lovely and joyful perversions of the human spirit."

Doug