cop shows and postmodernism redux

Mon Feb 22 13:11:40 PST 1999

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking deconstructionism "deconstructs structures", and thus relies on a structuralist premise, but I could be wrong.

How does the difference in the idea of synthesis play out ?

The only reason I pay attention to Hegel is because of Engels and Marx. Those who refer to Hegel but seem to forget Marxism.... I don't get it. Why is it that a lot of these Derrida types seem to contradict classical Marxism ?

Charles Brown

At 16:05 18/02/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Aren't Derrida and Irigaray, and Levi-Strauss for that matter, doing
regular old Hegelian dialectics but just plagerizing it ? Any Hegelian knows that all oppostions are a unity and struggle of opposites, not just an opposition. Levi-Strauss's binary oppositions are just the beginning of his process.

I wasn't claiming L-S as a 'deconstructionist'. Derrida is indebted to Hegel yes. The crucial (though not sole) difference is in the idea of synthesis.

Catherine