1929 vs. 1999

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Tue Feb 23 08:14:09 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> No, I don't think daytrading on the web will bring about armageddon. I just
> see it as another symptom of a collective mania with few historical
> precedents. Certainly the late 1920s, maybe the late 1960s - but what else?
> nature of excessive trading aren't part of the nonsense.

Oh, no, Al the Bubblemeister is right. This time _is_ different:

- In 1929, the US was a creditor nation with a trade surplus. Today it is a net debtor, to the tune of 20% of GDP, and has a large and growing trade deficit.

- In 1929, P/E ratio was 20 and profits were growing at a healthy pace. Today it is 32, profits have been stagnant for a couple of years, and are now declining.

- In 1929, productivity was growing rapidly. Today, productivity growth sucks. (Not to worry, though; new numbers are being made up even as we speak).

- In 1929, less than 5% of the population participated directly in the stock bubble. Today it is probably around 50%.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique