Greenspan speaks...

Tue Feb 23 08:51:02 PST 1999

Greenspan can't say that mass unemployment (4% unemployment is MASS unemployment) and poverty are sine qua non's of "our" economic system. He can't say if everyone had a job, the workers would win all strikes because there would be no scabs to take the workers' places. He can't say that if we trained everyone to be able to work there would still be millions unemployed and underemployed, so lack of job training as a cause of unemployment is a hoax.

Charles Brown

>>> "Henry C.K. Liu" <hliu at mindspring.com> 02/23/99 02:35PM >>>
Don't forget this is Humphrey-Hawkins testimony which is supposed to be the Fed Chairman's justification to Congress how he has met or intends to meet policy aims of Humphrey-Hawkins. So between the lines, its not unusual for Greenspan to imply that those aims are economically inconsistent and simply bad policy in general, using the latest data as his ammunition. This is why he sounds inconsistent, because he uses the data selectively to justify hios ideology. The key phrase is alway: "the balance of risk." In answer to Committee (Democrat) Vice Chairman's question on persistent low skill unemployment, for example, Greenspan gives the pat answer of job training. So he blames the victims rather than the economic system.

Henry