Linux/Our war in Iraq

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 23 11:12:36 PST 1999

At 01:47 PM 2/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Re Doug's: "it's clear the gov't can work well in areas that capital
>cares about."
>
>Such as dropping tons of high explosives on people. We're now not only
>bombing Iraq on a near-daily basis but are also apparently using bigger
>bombs. I've never seen the weight of bombs we're using identified
>before, but I just saw an AP report that said 2,000-pound bombs are now
>being used against Iraq.
>
>Carl Remick

And this, despite this.............

Bitter Ritter Fingers the CIA Baghdad's least favorite U.N. arms inspector goes public with an intelligence community spat

Hell hath no fury like a Marine spurned, and Scott Ritter is in no rush to forgive the CIA for shutting him out of its Baghdad covert operations. The former U.N. arms inspector at the center of last winter's confrontation with Iraq has written a tell-all book accusing the Clinton administration of compromising the U.N. arms inspection program. Few surprises there, but nobody was expecting Ritter to confirm that UNSCOM contained a number of CIA covert operatives -- one of the reasons cited by Baghdad for his own expulsion from Iraq. "Ritter feels that he was first drawn into U.S. covert intelligence-gathering and then later frozen out," says TIME U.N. correspondent William Dowell. Among the reasons allegedly cited were his marriage to a Russian woman. "That's an insult to his pride as an intelligence professional," says Dowell, "and he's hitting back by accusing the CIA operatives dealing with Iraq of being more concerned with advancing their careers than with the real danger posed by Iraq's weapons." That'll teach those cloak-and-dagger boys to mess with a Marine.

-- TONY KARON

NEXT STORY >>

R E L A T E D S T O R I E S : Ritter Shames U.N. -TIME Daily