Doe fund source??

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Feb 23 17:28:15 PST 1999

In a previous post, there was discussion about an organization in New York city called the Doe Fund which runs a program called "Ready, Willing, & Able." This organization takes homeless ex-drug addicts, "rehabilitates" them, and lends them to the city where they collect trash from street litter baskets and are apparently taking over work that used to be done by unionized sanitation workers.

Also supposedly the Ready, Willing, & Able organization is supposed to pay a minimum wage but was taken to court for paying workfare workers only $2-3 an hour under the guise of "educational” training.

Because I want to use this workfare example in an article I'm working on, I contacted the Doe fund to see what they had to say. They deny everything. Does anyone have a source for the allegations - I could find nothing in the New York Times or any other search engine.

Would the Village Voice have covered the story maybe?? Perhaps the city sanitation workers union knows, does anyone know what they are called exactly??

Thanks in advance, Marta