Hate crime

Tue Feb 23 17:55:51 PST 1999

Marta, I noticed in a follow up article on the torture of Eric Krochmaluk--again in the Metro section, not the front page--there was little attention given to him or his family; the focus instead seemed to be the depressed conditions of bayside New Jersey town. I didn't get the impression that the intent was to justify the horrific things these thugs did by reference to their economic conditions, but the neglect in the coverage is nonetheless striking. Yours, Rakesh