coming financial armageddon/new wager offer for Max

Wed Feb 24 13:02:20 PST 1999

>>> Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> 02/24/99 03:16PM >>>

Presumably a fall of the market by some percentage constitutes a crash. Tell me what your percentage is, what the time frame is (you need a point of reference from which to measure the drop), and what index we are using. Alternatively, you could simply set a fixed number for, say, the Dow, and call that a crash (e.g., Mark Jones' 3000). ________ Charles: We'll use your definition of crash. What would be a crash to you ? How about the average between the week of 1929 and 1987 ? Point of reference ? The day before , no ? I'd think the Dow.

If in any week, the Dow drops a number of points that is more than or equal to the average of the drop between the weeks of 1929 and 1987 , you promise to pay for me to eat all the Ethiopian food I can with my fingers in one sitting. If not I pay for you to do the same. _________

I'm afraid the media, Henwood, and Paula may be a too excitable for the role you suggest, if only a little. ________

Charles: What are you trying to start a flame war ? _______

> Or a meal at an Ethiopian restaurant in D.C. or
> Detroit, Chocolate City to Chocolate City ?

That would be fine, if a little unfair because our Ethiopian joints are probably better than yours. (I've been to all of them.) Last time I was in Detroit the most exotic thing I could find was Fishbone's (though that was pretty good). ___________

Charles: You got that right. We had two Ethiopian restaurants and one closed. To me Fishbone's Jambalya tastes like it comes out of a can. I'll take you over to a speakeasy on the Eastside for some authentic Black Bottom culture. There's betting there too :>). We'll stop by Burger King on the way. All hail Coleman Young ! (See _Hardstuff_ , the autobiography of Coleman Young ; Viking 1994)

Charles