Sollers

Catherine Driscoll cdriscol at arts.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Feb 24 15:55:17 PST 1999

At 10:30 24/02/99 -0600, you wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me anything about Philippe Sollers, whom Bourdieu
>> skewers in a new collection of his little polemical pieces just out from
>> the New Press? Doug
>
>... soixante-huitard, doyen of Tel Quel ... Perry Anderson wrote of his
>switching "virtually overnight [in the late 70s] from strident
>asseverations of materialism and a cult of the social order in China to
>revaluations of mysticism and an exaltation of the social order in the
>United States..."
>
> --C. G. Estabrook

Also a novelist, very highly acclaimed in places but not my style. Also for many years husband of Julia Kristeva, but I'm not uptodate on the status of that. The Tel Quel stuff is highly significant though. And Anderson is mistaken if he thinks the extolling of 'China' at that time was much of a shift at all from revaluations of mysticism or the United States. Read Kristeva's _About Chinese Women_.

Catherine