coming financial armageddon/new wager offer for Max

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Feb 25 00:18:26 PST 1999

> pms wrote:
> >
> > I'll bet $2 on June/July.

Please be more specific on what you're proposing to wager on.

> I'll bet that the nasdaq will drop below 1250 before the end of 1999.
> What odds would you give me, Max?

I'd take that one. Tell me what you willing to donate to my favorite non- profit and we can talk about odds.

> By the way, what's the deal with this fellow Kusnet from EPI? He
> reviewed Peterson's Grey Dawn for the NYT Review of Books. What an
> incredibly wimpy piece, peppered with "Peterson deserves credit for
> bringing the issue up" and such. No mention of the blatant manipulation
> of SS numbers, Peterson almost pathological hatred of SS, etc.

David is an EPI 'fellow' and not regular staff. He was a speechwriter for Clinton in the 92 campaign, former AFSCME guy, not an economist, and not too radical.

Wrote a book, "Speaking American," about what sort of political language is effective, which I haven't read. Friend of mine. Can't say I share his view of Peterson. I saw the article and was underwhelmed. I may try to do some intra-office indoctrination.

As far as political uniformity goes, only two other economists at EPI have agreed to sign a petition thrashing the Clinton budget that I am helping to circulate, though they have no interest in signing the 'other' petition backing Clinton up and down the line.

mbs