Butler, Nussbaum, Paglia

Lucky Pierre j-harsin at nwu.edu
Thu Feb 25 00:40:26 PST 1999

Hi. No, actually she teaches in the dept. of "rhetoric" (not really in the classical Aristotelian sense, but perhaps in the sophists' sense, which postmoderns like the late Lyotard found worth revisiting) at UC-Berkeley, a very comp-litish, continental theory-oriented dept. As you may know, much continental philosophy in the U.S. has sought refuge in complit disciplines. Different philosophers (analytic p., phil of mind, continentals) consider other camps less worthy of the distinction "philosophy." Perhaps the better question is to ask whether Hegelian scholars take Butler seriously, as Aristotle scholars take Nussbaum seriously (thus the two are really not at all part of the same academic culture and are struggling to communicate with each other, as are many of us on this list and beyond it). And whether feminist scholars take her seriously, too (see Benhabib ed. _Feminist Contentions_ for a discussion between Butler, Benhabib, Cornell, and someone else). And then how does power relate to what gets considered legitimate "feminist thought" or "philosophy?" Just pointing to some distinctions (in every sense of the word) that we might keep in mind. Personally, I wrestle with how much I should critique an author for the time I spend "deciphering." As others have argued on this list though, I think we should not conflate the issue of obscure (even intentionally so) style and inability to speak directly to a mass audience with bad ideas/arguments. She may be guilty of both or neither. Jayson
>I thought she taught in a philosophy department. No?
>
>Michael

>Michael Pollak................New York City..............mpollak at panix.com

-- jayson perry harsin Dept. of Communication Studies Northwestern University j-harsin at nwu.edu (773)508-4062 WNUR's Southbound Train spins Insurgent Country 89.3 fm Sundays 9:00-11:00 p.m. (listen on the Net at www.wnur.org)

http://www.wnur.org/southbound/ Who are you indeed who would talk

or sing to America? Have you studied out the land,

its idioms and men [and women]?--Walt Whitman