Query for Rosser

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Thu Feb 25 15:13:51 PST 1999

Rosser: And there is the split between the Chicago School libertarians like Milton Friedman who buy garden variety Marshallian equilibrium analysis and the Austrian libertarians who think that such equilibrium analysis is a crock and a bunch of useless baloney. And among the Austrians there is unremitting warfare between the Hayekians and the harder core Misesians, with one of the latter "Bronx cheering" one of the former at a Mises Institute conference two years ago. They are constantly telling each other how they have to join ranks to fight off the nasty leftists, in between their bouts of mutual Bronx cheering.

GN: Don't you mean Marshallian *partial* equilibrium analysis. I'm translating a French book on the development of Keynesian thought. The author is at pains to distinguish partial equilibrium analysis (of the dynamics of economic branches) from Walrasian analysis of equilibrium in the economy as a whole. So my question is whether they Hayekians think Marshallian partial equilibrium analysis is baloney or whether they are criticizing Walrasian equilibrium. -gn. -- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298