Butler, Nussbaum, Paglia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:38:06 PST 1999

Alex LoCascio wrote: x

" All the more reason to cut the internecine warfare and start fighting back"

Lovely. Everyone can agree at once at what common sense tells us. And of course, whether or not the ruling ideas of an epoch are the ideas of the ruling class (this can be debated) there is no doubt whatsoever that common sense of an epoch is a distillation of everything that upholdsd the rulers. We will all agree at once to stop worrying about such trivial differences as whether women have a right not to be pinched on the ass on the assembly line or not have obscenities posted on their lockers.

And we will just forget about all those divisive ideas by those bothersome black people who are always complaining about those fellow workers on the police depts. beating them until (in one mother's description) something like oatmeal was coming out of his (her son's) mouth after the police had released him. Or perhaps we should instead all unite at once around those feminists ("feminists") who think our primary task is to drive Playboy off the news stands.

Or what would you suggest Alex that we should all unite around. Perhaps we can unite around chiding dept store clerks working at barely above the minimum wage for not loving Butler. Or perhaps we can rally around Butler in a universal hunt for all those marxists whose primary purpose in life is to put down gays and lesbians

Come on, Alex. Name the principles of unity for us so we can all unite tomorrow morning to storm the white house.

You make me sick.

Carrol