To Yoshie, and anyone interested

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Feb 26 13:25:01 PST 1999

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Another way to look at 'male adolescence' is that to see it as an area
> where the residual discourse on same-sex love--age-differentiated
> pedagogical love between men and boys--reassert itself, beneath the
> dominant discourse of homo/hetero division, mixing Foucault and Raymond
> Williams. This is especially visible in Japan.

Interesting, does this have something to do with Japan's lack of a Puritan tradition, or is this just more pronounced in Japan than, say, postmodern China (e.g. Hong Kong, or the Chinese diaspora)? Many of the EU mass cultures seem to have a similar male-male tension lurking beneath the Americanized veneer, all the way back to Genet (whom a patriarchal discourse would call the granddaddy of gay lib, but being radicals we should probably talk about grandmommas), but that's probably a far too American thing to say.

-- Dennis