Empty Labels (was Re: Butler, Nussbaum, Paglia)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 26 13:33:14 PST 1999

Carrol wrote:
>It is because I put so much emphasis on theoretical reflection that
>I am engaged in my present campaign of everyone on these lists
>who engages in poisoning the wells of discourse by substituting
>empty labels like "elitist" or "pomo" for the description, naming,
>and critique of concrete positions. (To call such procedures
>"generalizations" is as misleading as calling cyanide "merely
>a chemical." True, but the excuse of a scoundrel.)

I agree that empty labels are no good and function merely as figures of speech. Can we focus on this problem in a separate thread, without mixing it up with your or anyone else's judgment of any poster's writing? If examples of empty labels are needed for illustrations of the problem, we may take them from some published articles, books, etc. That way, we may get a useful discussion going.

Yoshie