Uh huh (was: Re: Weyrich Letter to Conservatives: Cultural Marxists won the War)

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Fri Feb 26 23:57:18 PST 1999

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:04:30 +1100 "rc-am" <rcollins at netlink.com.au> writes:

> i think 'starship troopers' is arguably the most difficult film to
watch:

Robert Heinlein actually intended for the book Starship Troopers to be a Fascist apologetic.

I think I disagree with you on the lack of ironic detachment. The only way Verhoeven could film it without appearing to condone Heinlein's political views is by injecting heavy doses of irony into the whole affair. The movie was like one big campy joke. The high-tech, ultraviolent equivalent of an Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon Beach Party movie. How could you not laugh at the sickly melodrama of the love triangle or the boneheaded jingoism?

Definitely agree that it's one of the greatest films of all time, but then anything Verhoeven does is good...

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]