William Vickery question

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Sat Feb 27 10:50:12 PST 1999

Marta,

Yes, he was. Vickrey's economics was, as Paul Sweezy put it to me at luch one day, pretty trivial. However, Sweezy said that the Nobel committtee (in this case, the Swedish Central Bank, I suppose) must not have known about Vickrey's politics, which were left of center. Vickrey was an old New Dealer and quite liberal. He planned to use his Nobel award to speak out on liberal issues, but poor man, he died soon after getting the prize. I told a conservative friend of mine that this was probably a right-wing plot!

michael yates