Alex LoCascio's conversion

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Sat Feb 27 04:19:02 PST 1999

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:20:10 EST Apsken at aol.com writes:

>What has become of the real Alex, the one who internecinely attacks
leftwing
>activists, especially when they do such "useless" things as to protest
[fight
>back] the U.S. war against the people of Iraq?

Like Carrol, you're taking my comments out of context and constructing a nice little strawman. I was talking entirely about Leftist academia and the need for Marxists and non-Marxists to join together against conservative educational "reformers" who want to boot the "tenured radicals."

If you wanted to talk about activism again, why didn't you just say so? You sure most "activists" are even Leftwing? Most of the ones I've known are always throwing around bland, nondescript terms like "social justice" and employing standard liberal "rights" talk as the basis for action.

Carrol will go around quoting Lenin on the need for radical theory to accompany praxis, but when I criticize most current activists for not bothering with radical theory, it's jump on Alex time. You can't have it both ways. Either theory is totally unnecessary as a basis for activism, or you acknowledge that the weak nature of activism these days has something to do with the pervasive influence of what Doug calls "Alinsky-style" organizing.

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]