Hitchens on homophobia

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 28 19:08:18 PST 1999

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >>And what does it say about women?
> >
> >The real question is, what does it say about Hitchens' views on women?
>
> That's what I meant.

I think you two are a little off the mark here. Saying that gay men have to be more physically fit than straight men to attract mates isn't a slur on women; it's a slur on men. It's essentially accusing us men of making physical beauty a precondition for affection more than women do. Which seems both basically true and tribute to women's better sense. It's also the best evidence I know that there is such a thing as a male gaze and that people are affected by it.

Michael