Affected Englishness (Re: Hitchens on homophobia)

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Sun Feb 28 13:02:11 PST 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:59:27 +1100 Rob Schaap <rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au> writes:
>But he can be misconstrued by Americans, too, where the idea seems to be
>make your points explicitly, where affectation is not generally
sanctioned,
>and where ambiguity points to gutlessness, confusion or deceit.

I'm just fulla questions:

What about the affected Englishness of Americans like William F. Buckley?

Just what the hell is up with that? Why do American middlebrows fawn all over an accent? One of my favorite psycho/cultural digressions in Doug's Wall Street is where he talks about how insecure American audiences get their rocks off on the haughty Englishness of publications like The Economist and the Financial Times. What used to be great about Hitchens is that he'd poke fun at that, but now he seems to revel in playing the nasty limey expatriate with the pen dipped in acid. I think I detect this shift about the time that he started appearing on TV regularly and writing for Vanity Fair, but who knows...

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]