So what's the deal in China, Henry

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 1 07:55:54 PST 1999

>ut a vocal and =
>
>influential group _ say the reforms will undermine communist control =
>
>and spark a social backlash as millions of workers lose their =
>
>cradle-to-grave security.

This very interesting post reminded me of a question I asked Henry. Maybe I missed the answer.

While discussing health care I asked if the Chinese had at one time, before capitalist reform, had decent HC. Wouldn't this be part of cradle-to-grave security?

And if it is true that at one time the Chinese people had come to expect access to decent HC, then I would like to know what form it took and what was the reaction of the people upon losing this precious resource. Surely a lot more folks would become demonstratably excited about losing HC than would bother about democratic reform.

Was there any opposition to HC changes, and if so, why do we not here of it? If there was no such action-why not? I find it hard to believe that the great mass of people would let such a thing go, quietly.

Thanks to your consideration, Henry.

Hey Henry, what the mood of the Big Cigars you know. Are they freakin' out?

smooches Paula